- Your story should be between 500 and 2,000 words,
- be based on real events (i.e. not a work of fiction) and
- the subject matter should have strong association with i/ Sickle Cell Disease and ii/ the role of blood in treatment and management of this condition.
We strongly encourage using pictures and/or video to help illustrate your story. You can edit a submitted entry at any time up to the moment it is approved by our moderators. Once approved, your entry may be published for others to read and enjoy. You may submit multiple stories until the deadline.
A panel of judges with expertise in Sickle Cell Disease will award a first, second and third prize of $500, $350 and $250. There will also be two discretionary prizes of $125 for the best entry from someone under 16 and the best entry from a healthcare professional, providing entrants from these categories i/ meet quality thresholds and ii/ are not already represented among the winners.
COMPETITION RULES AND TERMS
As many people as possible are encouraged to enter and you can enter as many times as you like.
By entering you agree that we may use your submission as we see fit, whether or not you win a prize. Worldwide, there is a serious lack of awareness of issues relating to Sickle Cell Disease and transfusion we will use your experiences to help improve this situation.
NO FEE OR PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
- Eligibility: The Contest is open to anyone whose life has been impacted by Sickle Cell Disease, directly or by association. Contestants may reside in Africa or anywhere else in the world. The Contest is void where prohibited by law. Employees of the organizing partners, their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, suppliers and their immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of each are not eligible to participate in the Contest. The Contest is subject to all applicable national, federal, state and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
- Agreement to Rules: By participating, you agree to be fully and unconditionally bound by these Rules, and you represent and warrant that you meet the eligibility requirements set forth herein. In addition, you agree to accept the decisions of the organizing partners as final and binding as it relates to the content. The contest is subject to all applicable national, federal, state and local laws.
- Contest Period: Entries will be accepted online starting 01 August, 2016 and ending 30 September, 2016 at midnight. Entries date-stamped before or after this window will be deemed ineligible. Contest entries will be judged and announcements made. The organizing partners reserve the right to extend the deadline for entries at their discretion.
- How to Enter: The Contest must be entered by submitting an entry using the online form provided on this contest site. The entry must fulfil all contest requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize. Entries that are not complete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of the organizing partners. You may enter as many times as you wish, as specified in the "How to Enter" portion of the contest site. You must fill in the information requested and, if required, upload the appropriate files (photograph, video, or other item as specified). You understand that your entry may be made published for public review prior or post any judging process or may be reviewed privately by contest judges. If you use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules (for example if your entry is not original material or not based on real events) your submission may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion of the organizing partners.
- How to Win: Winners for this contest will be selected by private judging.
- Prizes: Prizes for the contest are listed on the website. You are not guaranteed to win a prize and your chance of winning is dependent on the total number of eligible entries received. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for Global Blood Fund and its partners to use winner's name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
- Notification: Winners of the Contest will be notified by e-mail to the e-mail address within four weeks of the close of the contest. Following the winner selection, GBF and its partners shall have no liability for a winner's failure to receive notices due to winners' spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for winners' provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If the winner cannot be reached after reasonable efforts have been exerted during fifteen (15) days from first attempts to do so, or if he/she is found to be ineligible, or if he/she cannot or does not comply with these Contest Rules, such winner will be disqualified and an alternate winner may be selected.
- Award of Prizes: Prize values are expressed in US dollars. However, Global Blood Fund will work with prize winners to effect transfer in the manner and currency most convenient to the recipient. This may be in USD or in a local currency. If the latter, a conversion will be made at exchange rates prevailing on the day of transfer.
- Rights Granted by you: By entering this content you understand that GBF and its partners and anyone acting on its behalf, or its respective licensees, successors and assigns will have the right, where permitted by law, without any further notice, review or consent to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use, worldwide in any media now known or hereafter in perpetuity and throughout the world, your entry, including, without limitation, the entry and winner's name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image or statements about the Contest, and biographical information as news, publicity or information and for trade, advertising, public relations and promotional purposes without any further compensation.
- Rights to Work: By entering the Contest, you represent and warrant that your entry is your original work and does not include third party without permission and that it will not infringe on the rights of any third party or entity. In addition, you have obtained all rights, licenses, permissions and consents necessary to submit the entry and to grant the other rights outlined in the rules.
- Terms: GBF reserves the right, in its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest should (in its sole discretion) a virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the Contest. In such case, the organizing parties may select the recipients from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken. GBF reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or website or violates these Terms & Conditions. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, GBF reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. GBF reserves the right not to award one or more of the listed prized where - by agreement of the judges – none of the submissions received are deemed to meet a subjective threshold of “publishable quality”.
- Limitation of Liability: By entering you agree to release and hold harmless GBF, its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from (i) such entrant's participation in the contest and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof, (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunctioning of any computer, cable, network, hardware or software; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions or telephone or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (v) electronic or human error which may occur in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries;
- Governing Law: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these official rules or the rights and obligations of entrants or sponsor in connection with the contest shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the state of Oklahoma without giving effect to any choice of law of conflict of law rules or provisions that would cause the application of any other state's laws.
This Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook.